Date of Notice:
April 12, 2012
Senior Land Project Manager
Land Conservation Director
Mission of Position:
To initiate and manage the successful completion of land conservation transactions.
Minimum of three years of related professional experience desired. Bachelor's degree in related field required, with advanced degree desirable. Ideal candidate will be a seasoned land conservation professional, with more than the minimum three years of experience and solid track record of completing complex real estate transactions. A background in land conservation, real estate, finance, land use planning, environmental studies, natural resource conservation, law, or related field is a plus. Experience in applying innovative conservation finance and land use planning tools desirable. GIS skills desirable, but not required. Strong entrepreneurial, interpersonal, and writing skills are a must. Individual must be detail-oriented, self-directed, outcome-driven, flexible, and also be able to work well as part of a team. Willingness to attend occasional evening meetings and travel throughout the Hudson Valley is required. Must demonstrate a commitment to Scenic Hudson's mission.
Scenic Hudson works to protect and restore the Hudson River and its majestic landscape as an irreplaceable national treasure and a vital resource for residents and visitors. A crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. We are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. Our team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open up riverfronts to the public and preserve the valley's inspiring beauty and natural resources.
We are guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
Principle Responsibilities may include:
- Establishing positive, productive relationships with landowners in order to achieve conservation outcomes.
- Devising acquisition and financing plans for land conservation projects.
- Negotiating the acquisition of land and conservation easements.
- Coordinating the mechanics of multiple real estate transactions, tracking and following up on various aspects of same in a timely manner.
- Identifying and pursuing project-specific funding sources and financing strategies; preparing grant proposals.
- Working as part of Scenic Hudson's Land Acquisition Team, assisting in the identification of Hudson River Valley properties exhibiting significant scenic, ecological, agricultural, historic and/or recreational value.
- Drafting conservation easements and other documentation associated with land conservation transactions.
- Managing the disposition and/or re-purposing of properties already in Scenic Hudson's ownership.
- Collaborating with park management staff on land management, park planning and property disposition, where appropriate.
- Collaborating with land use advocacy staff on local land use planning issues, where appropriate.
- Producing background reports on specific properties.
- Building local support for specific projects.
- Collaborating with public officials, planning departments, and non-profit organizations involved in land conservation, land use planning, and environmental advocacy in order to advance land acquisition projects.
- Providing general assistance to the Executive Director and Land Conservation Director of the Scenic Hudson Land Trust, and when necessary, to other appropriate staff.
- Making presentations to Scenic Hudson Land Trust board of directors.
- Overseeing and directing the work of consultants.
- Making public presentations on land conservation issues.
- Completing other assignments as deemed necessary.
Full time, with competitive salary and benefits. Salary and job title commensurate with experience.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com or mailed to HR, Scenic Hudson, One Civic Center Plaza, Suite 200, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601. Send resume and brief writing sample.
No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.